Saturday 11 October 2014

Pandora Hearts


Today's entry is about one of my favorite manga: Pandora Hearts. 

Written and drawn by Jun Mochizuki and published monthly on the Square-Enix G-Fantasy Magazine, Pandora Hearts is a complex series full of plot twists, revelations, action and a lot of character developement.

It's a manga very hard to explain without spoiling it, so I'll write a simple summary: 

The story is set in a 19th century-like setting, and starts with the coming-of-age ceremony of Oz Vessalius, a 15-year boy who is the heir of the Vessalius family. In the middle of the ceremony, he's attacked by strangers and he's sent to the Abyss, which is a like a prison that it's imposible to escape from. His sin is his own existence.When he arrives there he mets a girl named Alice who says that she know how to leave that place. Then, he makes a contract with her (she's a chain, a chain is part of the contract, the contratist can summon the chain and attack) and they're able to use the Black Rabbit Power (she's called "B-Rabbit").

(I can't go further because I would end writing the entire story)

An interesting thing about this manga it's that it has a lot of Alice in Wonderland references. For example, some chains are named "Mad Hatter" and "The Queen of Hearts".

MAIN CHARACTERS



From left to right: Sharon Rainsworth, Break Xerxes, Reim, Raven/Gilbert Nightray, Oscar Vessalius, Oz Vessalius, Alice Baskerville, Ada Vessalius, Echo, Leo and Elliot Nightray.

And other important characters:
Jack Vessalius

Glen Baskerville
Vincent Nightray
Echo
I really like the story, setting and characters. At first, they have simple personalities, but as the story goes on, the author starts to develop their thoughts and actions. Also, I really like the Victorianesque setting mixed with fantasy. It's just amazing!

And to end, the other day I was reading it on my way to university, and when I read one of the manga's most memorable moments I nearly cried. The author was so rutless to kill one of the best characters in the entire manga.

The manga will end next month, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle the situation. There's a lot of things that need to be explained, so I hope that it will have an amazing ending!

Thanks for your reading! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment